The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN!

In the beginning..........
 
She was a Mom looking for opportunities for her children. Buffalo can be a dangerous place, especially during the summer. We have seen many young people die from violence. This Mom was being proactive.

She found Youth With A Purpose Inc on Facebook and she called the Director. She asked if there were any opportunities for her son and daughter. I explained that we could take her son on a mountain trip but that we would need at least 2 girls. I drove over to their home to meet them and give them the proper forms. As I talked to the Mom about the reasons we needed 2 girls, another girl came out of their home. I looked at her and said: 'What about her?" The Mom said "Oh no! She has behavioral problems." I smiled and said: "That's who we are looking for! We take people with behavioral problems and throw them off the top of the mountain! If they still have behavioral problems then we feed them to the bears!" The girl's mouth dropped open as if to say: "Oh no! I'm not going anywhere with this fruitcake!"

I CAN DO THIS!


The next morning she was ready to go along with her friend and her brother and sister. We drove approximately 350 miles to the Adirondacks and set up camp. Early the next morning we headed for Giant Mountain. This is generally an easy climb of about 3-4 hours. My partner made it to the top of the mountain almost 3 hours ahead of me and the 2 girls with these alleged behavioral issues. The one young lady cried almost all the way up. I just kept singing her songs like: "Amazing Grace" and "Nothing But The Blood." I read her Bible verses like: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" ( Philippians 4:13) She would sit and complain: "I'm sorry I came! I will never do this again! I can't do this! This is crazy!" I just smiled and sang.

Snack time on the side of a mountain.
Waiting patiently for the rest of the team to arrive.
Can I fly down?


As half of our team waited at the top of the mountain, they asked other climbers if they had seen us. They said: "Yes, we saw them and they are never going to make it!" Hahahahahahaha! We made it! Just as the rest of the team were about to give up and head down the mountain, we stepped on to the peak! We stayed a short time for pictures and a bite to eat before heading down. It was a long trip down with a lot more tears.

"I CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN!"


We made it to the van and the young lady called her Mom to tell her that she had climbed a mountain. A few weeks later in church, her Pastor asked if anybody had any accomplishments they wanted to share. This young lady jumped up and screamed: "I CLIMBED A MOUNTAIN! Yes, she was proud and was celebrating her accomplishment. She deserved to bask in the glow of being an over-comer.

In 6 years of Wilderness Leadership Treks, every young person on our team has reached the top of the mountain. They learn about perseverance, struggle and victory. That's what we do at Youth With A Purpose Inc; We help young people climb the mountains of life.


"Find new ways, 
  in as many ways, 
    in more excellent ways, 
      on all of your days, 
        to show love." 

Bob Kuebler
YWAP Director

Youth With A Purpose
In School & After School
In The Mountains & In The Hood
157 Locust Street
Buffalo, New York 14204
716-830-8240
"All Children Are Gifted" 
http://thebrightspotreport.blogspot.com/
A Scholarship for a young person to attend a 3 day Wilderness Adventure in the Adirondack Mountains is valued at $185. We are a 501c3 and your donations are tax deductible. You may give online at:
http://www.gofundme.com/73te4
If you are looking for a speaker for parents or youth or both, please call us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment