The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Detention for the Mentor

Never in a million years would I ever imagine that I could get detention as a Relationship Mentor. I'm supposed to be a role model and an example for students to learn from. Now, I find myself looking at a sentence of detention. I will have to serve my time next week.

It has become my custom to wear the school uniform in solidarity with the students. Yesterday I walked in without my uniform. To start the class, I told the students that this was kind of like a "Free For All Day." That means that I do have some prepared material but their thoughts and questions would determine what we would talk about. One of the first questions was: "Where is your uniform?"

My infraction lead me to Detention in the Reflection Room. I feel a Rap Song coming on!

I told the students that I would be very transparent with them. I explained that I had a very busy day and I ran out of laundry detergent. I only have one uniform for each school except for School #3 (I have 2.) My uniform was in the washing machine and I assured them that I would have it next time. After I gave my explanation (which would be called an excuse if a child said this,) I paused and looked at the class. I could almost tell by the look on their faces that I was on shaky ground. I then asked them what would happen if they came to school without their uniform and gave that same excuse? Almost in unison they shouted: "We would get detention!"

I turned to the Teacher, Mr. Pegg who was smiling and said: "I guess you have to write me up for detention." He wrote me my Detention Slip and I will serve my Detention next week. I am looking forward to my penalty. Sometimes our lives become living lessons. We expect children to live up to the standards that we set while we are lackadaisical in following our own guidance. This creates hippocracy which is the door that opens to mistrust. Building trust requires "walking the talk."

Our class was filled with laughter, listening and learning. We talked about suicide, gangs, drugs, sexual abuse, bullying, poverty, water filters for people in Sierra Leone. Did you know that over 4,000 children die EVERYDAY from unsanitary conditions like lack of clean drinking water? We started with detention and went to clean water.

There is a cleansing action that
is created through transparency.

Building intimacy requires risk.

How much are we willing to risk
to help our children create a world
where trust is the flesh of the heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment