The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Monday, March 5, 2012

The Mentor Serves Detention

"One of the students gave me her cup of grapes from her lunch."
 
It was 11:15am and the Reflection Room was open for business. All of the students at Buffalo School #94 who were given Detention for their Infractions would serve their time in the Reflection Room. I was the first Infractor to arrive in the Reflector Room. Soon the other Infractors appeared with their lunch trays. They smiled as they saw me and took their seats.

Mr. Pegg turned on his classical music which included some delightful piano concertos and several opera songs. One of the students gave me her cup of grapes from her lunch. We were not allowed to talk so I opened my Bible to read. I read a verse that said: "Jesus spoke these words..." I was thinking that if Jesus had detention in this Reflection Room that he wouldn't be allowed to speak any words! Of course would Jesus ever get detention? Yeah, probably if he went to a Pharisee School! After reading a bit, I closed my eyes and just let the music float through me.


My peaceful state was briefly interrupted by the boy behind me who belched, LOUDLY! I heard the girl in front of me say: "Mr. Bob is the only one who is being good." I was the only silent one anyway. Most of the other Infractors were not Reflecting. They were busy trying to talk and make other noises. They were fidgeting with an enormous amount of pent up energy. I was content to relax and be quiet, although I am not a teenager either. I really did want to goof around and have fun but I thought it would be best to remain in a role model mode. Our Reflection time ended and all the smiling people went on about their day.

The students are learning that small actions can cause large results.

 After Detention, Mr. Pegg was kind enough to rearrange his schedule to allow me to facilitate our Relationship Mentoring Program during the next class. We covered compassion, homelessness, gangs, recidivism and a few other items that were on the students minds. We love Power Moment Mentoring. We mentor in the moment of the students mindset. Whatever they are thinking about at the present moment becomes our topic of discussion.

Studying history can help students prepare for a better future.
Buffalo School #94 is preparing students for the future in proactive way. Relationship Mentoring helps students become ready and willing participants with their Teachers in the classroom.

Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody.

Bob Kuebler
Youth With A Purpose Inc.
716-830-8240
ywapbuffalo@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment