The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Wednesday, September 26, 2012

God and a Rubber Chicken


I sat in a very cold apartment feeling miserable. This wasn't like Christmas as I had remembered it. I used to climb on the roof of the house and decorate from the top to the bottom. The secrecy of hiding presents for my children was a smile inducer. Better yet; it was a heart smile inducer. My heart had a Christmas Smile as wide as a fully lit Christmas tree. The Manger Scene brought peace amongst the joyful chaos. Peace, joy, smiles, that's how Christmas ought to be. That's the way it used to be.

Peace

Life changes and so do I. Frozen in despair, I could not see any reason to go out in a mad rush and buy presents. The house was gone, the family was divided and the children had grown older. What is the point in trying to give gifts that held no meaning? What did hold meaning? Maybe I could just write a check and put it in a Christmas Card and say "I love you." I didn't feel that. I couldn't feel any meaning in giving money. Maybe I could buy some clothes. Some people still have clothes in their closets with the tags on from years ago. Thoughts inside me screamed: "What is the point in all this madness of useless giving?"

I made up my mind that I would refuse to be a part of a meaningless hoax. I would not do anything, I was frozen on that couch. My Christmas Spirit was frozen. Slowly.....O so slowly, I began to thaw. God showed up. He urged me to pray about what to give. It wasn't about the money that was spent. It isn't about how perfect the gift is. The perfect gift begins with prayer. Actually prayer is a gift with residual qualities. You receive a blessing as you seek God's blessing that you can share with somebody else. My gift giving was drastically changed.

The first year of my new gift giving habits included Rubber Chickens. I didn't just give the Rubber Chicken all by itself. This was a special chicken that squawked when you squeeze the air out of it. I put the chicken in a Styrofoam food container that's used for takeout food. I added some fake grass that's usually found in an Easter basket. I put the chicken in the container with the grass and taped it shut. I wrote: "Chicken Salad" on the outside. It was an instant hit that provided laughter and smiles. The funniest part is that these chickens keep making the rounds every Christmas creating more laughter. People re-wrap the chicken and it keeps on squawking creating fresh Christmas joy every year.

The Rubber Chicken helps to open presents.
Moses and the Rubber Chicken at a Youth Program in church. Even Rubber Chickens can cross the Red Sea!


The Rubber Chicken chases a mouse (attached to a computer.)


Two Rubber Chickens and a steering wheel (that's how they cross the road!)
Christmas is a lot more joyful these days. I have accepted the changes in my life and I pray. God reveals new gift ideas all the time. Sometimes I make things out of nature like a Leaf Cross or a Sand Cross. God has a sense of humor that is revealed through a sensitivity to His Spirit. I hope and pray that your Christmas has God and a Rubber Chicken. Jesus loves you and so do I!

Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody!


No comments:

Post a Comment