The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Monday, September 24, 2012

My Lousy Attitude

Sometimes my attitude is lousy. I make excuses for my lousy attitude and tell myself  that I just have a lot of passion. I hurt deeply for the young people in Buffalo. I watch some die. I watch many struggle through incarceration. I see scores of fatherless children. I have a passion to help as many as possible. Passion to help people cannot be used as an excuse for coveting the blessing intended for somebody else.  

My week began with many opportunities to help young people. It also began without the needed provision to fund those opportunities. One of my strengths is my faith. I also realize that faith is a commodity that is continually tested. It can become a weakness in a hurry. God has always come through and provided all of the finances we have needed to serve our young people. I was feeling moody and impatient. I wanted help and I wanted it now.

 I read a Facebook Post about a Rock The Lakes Community Action Project. A friend was requesting $2,000 to build a wheel chair ramp for a lady with polio. My attitude grew lousy. I talked to God and this is what I said:  "Okay God, I know this lady needs a wheelchair ramp. I know it would be good to raise this money to help her. It's a great cause. But, could we get a couple of bucks to help thousands of kids?" Yeah, I'm embarrassed to write this. I was selfish and miserable. It was kind of like a spiritual coveting. I would never take her ramp away but I still thought in a selfish manner.

I was struggling to escape the cocoon of my lousy attitude.

 I knew I had to do something to change my bad attitude. Repentance is a process that requires admittance of wrong doing and an action to change the behavior. I decided to help them raise the money needed for the ramp. I posted information on my Facebook Page regarding the project and also my phone number. Within a half an hour I received a phone call. A friend said he had $100 to contribute and wanted to know where to take it. Once again I felt that familiar grunge welling up in the pit of my stomach. I was thinking something like: "Great, they get $100 and what do we get?" My attitude still needed a lot of work even though I was trying to change.

I gave my friend directions and then asked him if  he had any plans to get involved in the City. He said he was very busy with family activities and work. He said they were doing something new at his office. They were all pitching in and saving change in a water cooler. He said that so far, they had saved $300. Then he said: "The goal is to raise $500 for your organization by the end of August." I could feel the tears well up in my eyes. God was blessing me in spite of my attitude. I was trying to change and He was blessing me before I completed my change. He used a friend with a water cooler full of change to help me change my lousy attitude.

I was loved in spite of  a lousy attitude. I have to display the same kind of love to the young people of Buffalo. Thank you God for your patience and love. You granted me mercy in the midst of my unkind thoughts. Please help me to love the way you love. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment