The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Monday, February 17, 2014

What I Love Best About My Wife Part 1

      
       I hope your day is filled with heart smiles. Before I tell you some very cool things about my wife, let me cover some human experiences that can become seeds of love if you will accept and nurture them. There is a strong possibility that you fall into one of the following categories:
  • You may be a wife wishing your husband was fruity enough to express his love for you so the whole world could see it.
  • You might be recently divorced and thinking that if your spouse had been more demonstrative with their love, that maybe you wouldn't be divorced.
  • You may be widowed and tearfully remembering the love you shared with your spouse.
  • You might be embracing a single life and wondering why you would bother to read this. (Please don't stop!)
  • You might be a guy wondering how to love your wife in a more excellent way.
Whatever your "love-status,"  whether it's single, plural or a work in progress, you will find hope here for you. There are many reasons why I love my wife. This list is not all encompassing, nor is it compiled in order of importance - it's simply a list.

My Wife Simply Loves Me

Just As I Am

          Billy Graham wrote an autobiography called: "Just As I Am." It's a great book about a great man. I would read it if I were you. My wife loves me just as I am. Yup - all of me - my goods, my bads, my uglys and my in-betweens. I call them my 4 seasons of "Bob-hood." I'm just a simple Bob who wants to give and receive love and sometimes gets selfish. I am no different than Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. My personal moods and spiritual growth follows a "Four Season Life Plan." My wife knows that I sometimes have to let go, rest, plan and celebrate - repeatedly!

           My wife recognizes my imperfections and doesn't scratch them with a pointing finger. I invite her to hold me accountable in love and in truth. She gives me the comfort of knowing that I can confess a weakness to her and she won't use my confession as a weapon against me. I know that no weapon formed against me will prosper if I'm on God's side. Love cannot prosper when weapons are formed by folks who are supposed to be lovers.

          Loving me as I am requires a great deal of patience. As a simple Bob, I recognize that my love for my wife requires a diligent and participatory effort. Linda accepts what I give and doesn't ask for what I'm currently incapable of giving. She doesn't repeatedly remind me of what she has already requested from me. I think she prays and God takes care of the reminders. Yeah, the Holy Spirit is a great teammate for a spouse!
Ask and you'll be given,
Seek and you will find, 
The spouse with whom you be livin' 
The Holy Spirit will remind!
          Knowing me as I am is accepting my limitations and believing in my potential. Encouragement is one of the most beautiful words in the heart. My wife lifts me up and helps me weather the seasonal changes in life. The heavy burdens on the shoulders of my heart are like snow and ice piled high on our doorstep. She may not be able to remove the burdens but she supports me in so many ways. Her support helps me to build spiritual muscle that enables me to remove the burdens. By accepting me as I am and encouraging me to grow, my life is a limitless possibility filled with potential. My wife loves me just as I am.

          Your life may be in a mode of salvage; desperately seeking ways to save your marriage. Press on, you may have children learning about perseverance. Giving up will cause a rending in their hearts that will leave a heart-scar for life. Do the very best you can to weather the seasonal changes of love. The seasons actively change; love is a verb of action, just do it!

          Your life may be in a mode of mourning. Maybe your spouse passed away a a few years ago or maybe just a few days ago. Winter and Spring are sometimes interchangeable and do not always follow a definite pattern. Winter is a time of rest and inactivity in many ways. In your time of resting in God (Shabbat,) allow Him to plant new seeds in your heart. The love that you shared is the soil where hope will grow eternal. Love in a more excellent way is God's desire for everyone. He knows brokenness. God allows a kernel of wheat to fall to the ground and die before it returns to life. It not only returns to life - it gives more life in abundance. God wants to give you love in abundance. Rest and grow - in Him.

          Your life may be in "scrap mode." Starting over seems to be the best option available. God is a God of "fresh starts." Sow carefully - you wouldn't want to plant a sapling in the shadow of a mighty oak tree. When making a decision on when to give up on a marriage, there are 3 very important things to consider, who wants the marriage to end:
  1. If God wants your marriage to end, He will do so to protect you spiritually from evil. If your spouse has done nothing evil, you have no grounds for destroying your marriage.
  2. If the devil would like you to end your marriage (AND HE DOES!) he will lie, steal and destroy to accomplish the end of your marriage. Seek the Way, the Truth and the Life for instructions on how to discern whether or not the devil is influencing your decision to end your marriage.
  3. If you are making the decision to end your marriage based on your desires - that's selfish. Maybe you think that being married is a hindrance to what God has called you to be - that's usually a lie from the enemy. God uses conflict to help us grow. The greater the brokenness, the greater the capacity for love. You have been made in the image and likeness of God. Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. You are not just you. Your heart was designed for community, forgiveness, and brokenness. Your heart has been endued with a "Resurrection-like resiliency." You may feel like your marriage is dead - maybe it's time for you to act like a kernel of wheat.
          I will tell you more about how my wife and I met next time. There are ways to start over after a marriage, before a marriage and within a dead marriage. Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody. JLYASDW

JJ/SGD/blk



No comments:

Post a Comment