The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Monday, March 3, 2014

I'd Rather Write About My Wife Than Devalued Children

      As I write this, my wife and I are still in our "Morning Devo Mode." She is sitting near me. We begin our mornings by sharing a devotional time. She reads out loud on one day and I read out loud the next. What I read this morning was about listening and learning. Husbands and wives are often too busy formulating a judgmental response instead of listening. We should be listening with our hearts to what our spouse has to say. Communication is a spoken word from one heart to another. My wife has my heart when I really focus and shut out the temptation of judging her words.
 
  
          Today I'm struggling - I want to focus on my wife and shut everything else out of my heart. It's not working. A heaviness like a thick fog is hovering over my thoughts. A burden has been placed on my heart for children - especially the ones who fall through the cracks of society. The fog isn't blinding me to my wife's presence and my desire to love and serve her. The fog is redirecting the eyes of my heart to a more excellent way of seeing others. I know I can, and I will, be a better listener. Today God is speaking through a heaviness.

          I will have time later to enjoy some "Wifey Time." We will hike on a mountain and spend all day together. We love being around each other almost 24/7. We both have unique parts in God's plan for our lives. She supports me in a more excellent way everyday. I'm drifting now with the fog. Part of God's plan for my life includes youth ministry. I believe that all children are gifted. I've seen too many end up dead or in jail for a very long time. Yeah, I'd rather think about my wife than dead or incarcerated kids.

          My wife is sitting by a window with rays of a sunbeam pouring over her head. Her blonde hair is glistening and her shadow is cast upon the wall beside her. She's reading a book that no doubt will give her more wisdom and compassion for her to share with somebody in need. She allows God's love to reflect through her heart in her words and actions. She can lift a downtrodden heart with a smile from her eyes. She has stood beside me and witnessed the results of young people dying in Buffalo. She listens while I pray on the phone with a young inmate facing life in prison. She hurts with me.

          Everyday a child is faced with decisions that they may be incapable of making. Their young brains are not mature enough to make the right decisions. Without the guide of a mentor in their lives, children can easily make life altering or life ending decisions. Our education system is built to reward the best and the brightest students. Teachers with the compassion to reach all of their students are pressured to "teach to the test."  This ensures that they are rated highly enough to save their jobs. A good teacher has a heart to reach the hearts of their students. The students who do not learn easily are sometimes labeled "special ed." Most children who are labelled "special ed" begin to feel inferior. The feelings of inferiority can cause them to engage in disruptive behavior which is really a cry for attention. They begin to feel like they are of lesser value than other children; it's almost like a caste system. By devaluing children, we are casting them into a future life of crime, incarceration and killing.

          Are you beginning to see the heavy fog on my heart for the children who are left behind? You may have never watched a child die from violence or visited a prison but have you ever felt devalued? Can you understand why I would rather write about my wife and how good she makes me feel? If I focus only on my own goodness then I would be selfish. I hurt for children who become orphans, homeless, devalued, incarcerated or are killed. I hurt for children who feel unloved and do anything to feel wanted. I hurt for children who are enslaved by people who were hurt as children. I thank God for the love of my wife. She is like my mountain retreat where I can rest in her love. God reveals His plan for my life through that rest. We both put God first and each other second - that's truly a more excellent way of love.

          For the next week (3/3 - 3/10/14) we will be in the Phoenix, Arizona area. We have a fairly busy schedule but we will make room to provide value for young people who need some direction. If you know of any children who are in danger of falling through the cracks, we would love to help. On Wednesday evening we will be speaking to a group of young people at Without Walls Christian Center in Chandler, Arizona. Please feel free to bring some young people. I'm sure their youth group would love to share some time with you.

         My wife and I are Directors of Youth With A Purpose Inc. We have created a Common Core Character Education Program called Mentor Force. By becoming team members with Teachers, we use Power Moment Mentoring to help deal with emotional concerns and reinforce the study skills needed to attain a satisfactory education. Mentor Force raises grades, reduces suspensions and helps to minimize behavioral problems. All children are gifted and all children should have a mentor.

          Linda is my wife, my friend, my lover, my prayer partner, my teacher and my mentor. 
Thanks God for using the fogs of life to reveal a greater purpose. 
Thanks God for giving me a life partner named Linda. 

Thanks for your time.
Go do something nice for somebody.

Mentor Force is an organization of initiators.
We help young people who are at risk of leading impoverished and violent lives.

 We teach teachers, mentors and youth leaders how to build healthy relationships that make young people feel valued.  
Our goal is to ensure that every student has the benefit of being guided by a Mentor. 
If we can help you reach your potential as a Mentoring organization please contact us:
 716-830-8240 or ywapbuffalo@yahoo.com





No comments:

Post a Comment