The Bright Spot Seed Planter

Bright Spots can grow in dark places.


The Bright Spot Report is a place for success stories
as well as a place for tips on how to create Bright Spots.


If you have a Bright Spot Story, please share it with us,
so we can create a world with more Bright Spots.



Monday, April 27, 2015

WEST SIDE NEIGHBORS GET TOUGH ON JOHNS


     Winter's icy grip on Buffalo is finally giving way to a softening of the ground. New life is pushing up through the earth. All of Mother Nature's renewed vigor is contagious on the West Side of Buffalo. Neighbors springing into action. They are banding together to turn a blight spot into a Bright Spot.

  Johns are people who pay for sex. People who sell their bodies for sex are prostitutes. The neighbors are posting signs letting johns know that if you bring your luridness in our neighborhoods, you're being watched and we will call the Police. I applaud their efforts and I urge you to help in any way you can.

     As a youth director on the West Side for over 12 years, I've seen many wounded people who will do anything for drugs, money or even a place to sleep. Statistics show that 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys are physically abused. I've watched many people continue the cycle of abuse that was perpetrated upon them. They feel dirty about themselves and gravitate more dirt because they think they deserve it. Victims become victimizers and promulgate the victimization. Some guys pimp their girls just to make some money. Some girls support their families by selling their bodies. I have prayer walked the city and I will continue to do so. There's no proselytization involved - just simple love. When I get the opportunity to look in someone's eyes who is shackled by street life, there is one message I hope to convey;
"You are uniquely beautiful and loved just the way you are. God made you in his image and you are special in his eyes."
     The Bible speaks about action. James 2:25-26 says;
"Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works
when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
For as the body without the spirit is dead,
so faith without works is dead also."

Rahab was a prostitute who supported her family by selling her body. She received messengers who prayed. She was delivered from a life of prostitution. My faith tells me what my works should be. A neighborhood is made up of many parts working together. My works are prayers that bring a message of love. I hurt for folks who sell themselves. I hurt for folks who live a street life. I hurt for anybody who does not value and esteem the preciousness of each human being.

Every year we lead kids in neighborly projects. We pray, work and show love to folks we never met and may never see again. Good things are happening on the West Side of Buffalo, New York.

     I applaud the neighbors on the West Side of Buffalo for taking action. I urge you to support them. Post a sign if you can. Report any suspicious activity to the Police. Tell a prostitute that God loves them. Say a prayer. I will support them by prayer walking Grant St. I will support them by looking for Jesus in the eyes of everyone I meet. Imagine the West Side as a place where the abused were healed by the love of God through us. The johns wouldn't have any bodies to abuse. Just maybe they would begin to understand what love really is. Somewhere they learned how to be dirty. 

Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody.
Jesus loves you and so do we. #JLYASDW

No comments:

Post a Comment